QualiCode™ HIV-1/2 Western Blot Kit
AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome), caused by infection with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV), continues a deadly and insidious disease. Two types of HIV have been identified: HIV-1 is responsible for the majority of infections worldwide, while HIV-2 is relatively uncommon but likewise pathogenic. Patients with AIDS and AIDS related diseases typically develop a detectable antibody response to the HIV-1 or HIV-2 virus. Because of the potential for false positive results in HIV screening tests, the Western Blot has been established by CDC and other public health organizations as a confirmatory test for HIV antibodies.
The Western Blot shows the reactivity of antibodies with individual HIV viral antigens, and makes it possible to distinguish true infection from a spurious immune response to cross-reactive non-HIV antigens. Such spurious responses are known to occur in the general population at a low frequency. The pattern of antigen reactivity on HIV Western Blot is also useful in monitoring the stage of infection and detecting seroconversion in recently infected individuals. Immunetics’ QualiCode HIV-1/2 Western Blot Kit provides an effective solution to confirmatory testing for HIV antibodies. The kit combines HIV-1 viral lysate antigens and a separate HIV-2 antigen, enabling detection of both HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibodies on a single test strip.
· Effective: For detection of antibodies to HIV-1 and HIV-2 in human serum or plasma. Each assay strip includes HIV-1 antigens from viral lysate and an HIV-2 recombinant protein.
· Easy to use: Each strip includes an internal control band to assure proper sample and reagent addition and valid test results. Each kit contains a lot-specific reference card for identification of bands on test strips. Each kit contains positive, negative and weakly reactive controls.
· Fast turnaround: Test results under 3 hours.
· Proven: Manufactured under licenser from the National Institutes of Health.
The QualiCode™ HIV-1/2 Kit contains HIV-1 viral lysate and recombinant HIV-2 envelope proteins. The source of the viral lysate is HIV-1 (HTLV-IIIB strain) propagated in H9 cells. The virus is partially purified and inactivated by detergent disruption. The HIV-1 viral polypeptides are fractionated according to molecular weight by electrophoresis on a polyacrylamide slab gel in the presence of sodium dodecyl sulfate. The separated HIV-1 polypeptides are then transferred via electrophoretic blotting from the gel to a membrane. Onto this membrance a line of HIV-2 recombinant protein is striped. The membrane is then cut into strips for individual sample testing.
Three Simple Steps:
1. Diluted serum/plasma, containing antibodies, is added to a strip containing HIV -1/2 antigens and incubated. 2. Goat anti-human immunoglobulin-alkaline phosphatase Conjugate is added and binds to any HIV - 1/2 antibody/protein complexes. 3. BCIP/NBT Substrate Solution is added and converted by the enzyme into a colored product. Antibody/protein complexes appear as colored bands. The bands of protein, like a bar code, are unique for HIV - 1 and 2. To interpret the result, the strip is compared to the lot-specific immunostained Reference Strip included with every kit for band identification and bands are scored based on intensity with respect to the weakly reactive control.